Saturday, September 6, 2014

Transitioning a Toddler from Crib to Bed

This Labor Day weekend, we traveled to Texas for my husband to attend the Americans For Prosperity convention, and for Roman and me to hang out with some of Dillon's cousins. It was an amazing time of family fellowship and I'm convinced that one of our cousins, Lauren, and I were separated at birth. There was never a dull moment!

Within an hour of arriving at her house, my boy had jumped into a wash tub in the back yard (designated for the dogs to drink and cool off) fully clothed and was just having the time of his life. He went bowling for the first time, mastered the stairs, went to the lake and rode on a pontoon, met dozens of family members for the first time, and had several cousin-fights with a couple of Lauren's 5 children (all over toys!). If you notice the little Australian Shepherd puppy in the background, that's 6 week old Cowboy! I may have told my husband 100 times that we needed one just like him! He's basically our dream dog.

My beautiful boy (and the cutest puppy ever in the background!)

He also figured out how to escape from the Pack n Play. We came home on Monday, and on Tuesday morning Roman climbed out of his crib, grabbed a toy dump truck, and ran around the corner saying, "Hey Daddy!" He was perfectly fine, totally unharmed, but I cried! What if he had fallen and broken something? As if saying "what if" ever helped after the fact.  He's such a big boy. He's not my baby anymore! He's 20 1/2 months old and will be 2 in December!

So we converted his crib into a toddler daybed, stuffed a large pool noodle under the fitted sheet to prevent rolling over the edge, and had many fun talks about his big boy bed!

That night, after many hours of playing, we gave him a bath and put on a pair of brand new Scooby Doo pajamas (Thanks $5 clearance at Walmart!). I started diffusing Lavender essential oil in his room 30 minutes prior to bedtime. We tucked him in and by lamplight read Dr. Seuss ABC board book. He loved it. Then we said our prayers, which included a very sincere prayer on my part for this to be a good experience! His cute little voice echoed, "Amen!" and we kissed him goodnight!

These were taken a few days later - Elmo PJ's this time.

I apologize for the back of my hair - yikes!

Ten minutes later, little feet patted into my kitchen and a chubby face peeked around my big arm chair. The most mischievous grin broke out on that chubby face and I chased him back to bed. I tucked him in. I told him he was sleepy. I kissed him goodnight.

Thirteen minutes later, a repeat of the above happened. Daddy's turn to put him back to bed.

And that was it.

I checked on him later to find him laying on top of his quilt in the most infantile position with his little diapered booty sticking up in the air. He's still my baby in those moments.

I snuck back in much later and put my body pillow on the floor at his bedside just in case he fell out of bed and then I closed the door to ensure he wasn't wandering the house at night. His room shares a wall with our bedroom, so we know we can hear every sound he makes even without a monitor.

You know what? He slept all night. Don't hate me. I know so many fantastic parents with great kids who took ages to transition into the toddler bed. The next morning at 7:30 I heard a little voice so I went into his room and found him still in bed! He had pulled the body pillow into bed with him, but otherwise everything looked like it was in its place. He was even back under the quilt!

I give all the glory to God for answered prayers!

  1. We followed a routine, 
  2. Made the experience fun for Roman, 
  3. Utilized the medicinal properties of Lavender essential oils, 
  4. And in the end all I could do was pray for God to make this a positive experience.

The next morning we rewarded Roman with TONS of praise, a big cup of milk, and an episode of Scooby Doo first thing.

**Update: A few days have passed and the transition is still going great! Even naps have been pretty good as well! Saturday morning I woke up at 7:45 to check on him and found him sitting in my bedroom floor, quietly playing with blankets. We decided to do a deep cleaning and put up anything potentially harmful from our room (think: picture frames we never hung) so he could come get us if he was upset. 

No comments:

Post a Comment